VA Benefits info

VA Work Study Program

The federal VA work-study program provides part-time employment to students receiving VA education benefits who attend school three-quarter time or more.   Work-study students are paid either the State or Federal minimum wage, whichever is greater. 

dd214 512x512


You may be eligible to take part in our work-study program if you meet all of these requirements.


All of these must be true:

  • You’re enrolled at least three-quarter time in a college degree, vocational, or professional program, and
  • You have found an open job either at a nearby VA facility or in a VA-related role at your school, and
  • You can finish the work-study contract while you still qualify for education benefits, and
  • You’re using an approved VA education benefits program to pay for your education or training

Approved VA education benefits programs include:

  • Post-9/11 GI Bill for Veterans
  • Post-9/11 GI Bill for family members using transferred benefits
  • Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD)
  • Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)
  • Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)
  • The Edith Nourse Rogers Science Technology Engineering Math (STEM) Scholarship
  • Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA)
    (Note: Dependents who qualify under 38 U.S.C. Chapter 35 may use work study only while enrolled at a school in one of the 50 states.)
  • National Call to Service
  • Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E)

What kind of benefits can I get?

You can get paid to work a part-time job while you study.

How do I get these benefits?

You’ll need to apply for the work-study program by filling out an Application for Work-Study Allowance (VA Form 22-8691).

Get VA Form 22-8691 to download


What kind of job can I get?

You can get a job that’s related to VA work, meets your interests, and fills a need.

For example, you can work for a:

  • VA facility
  • Department of Defense, Coast Guard, or National Guard location that oversees MGIB-SR or REAP
  • State Veterans agency to help Veterans get Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E) benefits
  • Center of Excellence for Veteran Student Success to support the academic, financial, physical, and social needs of Veteran students
  • Cooperative program that we run together with a college, university, or other institution of higher learning
  • College, university, or other institution of higher learning in any Veteran-related role. For example, you could help Veteran students with general questions about Veteran benefits, process documents for Veterans, or maintain and organize Veteran-related files.

How much will I earn?

You’ll earn an hourly wage that’s the same as the federal minimum wage or your state minimum wage, whichever is greater. If your school usually pays students more for the job you’re doing, they may pay you the difference between the amount we pay and their usual rate.


How will I get paid?

You may elect to be paid in advance for 40% of the hours in your work-study agreement, or for 50 hours, whichever is fewer. After you’ve worked the hours covered by your first payment, we’ll pay you each time you finish 50 hours of service or every other week, whichever comes first.


When and how much can I work?

You can work during or between enrollment periods.

You can’t work more hours total than 25 times the number of weeks in your enrollment period.

For example: If you’re enrolled for a semester that lasts for 15 weeks, you can work up to 375 hours for that enrollment period.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This
Positive SSL